On April 17, 2010, the Dallas County Texas Historic Commission awarded an Historic Marker for Sachse's 5th Street Pump House. The pump house served as Sachse City Council Chambers from 1956 to 1966. This honor was a result of dedicated research efforts of Sachse Historical Society president Lloyd Henderson.
|Pictured: Karen Reed, Joe Stone, Sachse Fire Chief Doug Kendrick|
On June 27, 2009, the 1948 Ahrens Fox Engine #3, operated by the Sachse Volunteer Fire Department from 1978-1987, was dedicated and named the Joe J. Stone Engine by Sachse Fire Chief Doug Kendrick during the reunion of the Sachse Volunteer Fire Department and Ladies' Auxiliary.
On February 23, 2008, the Sachse Chamber of Commerce held an Annual Awards Banquet, “Set Sail with the Sachse Chamber”, at Southfork Ranch in Parker, Texas. The Sachse Historical Society supported the event as a Gold Sponsor, and filled a table to enjoy the festivities.
One of our own – our very best, Joe J. Stone, was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award presented by Steve Stanley. Joe is seen here with Karen Reed, President of the Sachse Historical Society. Read more...
Sachse Mayor Mike Felix (left) and Sachse Cemetery Foundation President Joe Stone at the Historic Texas Cemetery marker
On October 30, 2004 the Dallas County Historical Commission Chairman Buddy Frazer presented Mayor Mike Felix with a Historic Texas Cemetery Marker for the Sachse Cemetery. The honor was the result of efforts by the Sachse Cemetery Foundation and its president, Mr. Joe J. Stone.
William Sachse donated the land for a cemetery and a church in the 1890's. Mr. Sachse was the first to be buried in the cemetery on December 23, 1899. His heirs received all of his holdings, which included the cemetery property, and continued the work to establish the cemetery. The property was not officially recorded until 1920.
Resource: The Dallas County Chronicle
Memorial place on museum grounds is dedicated in memory of Jasper Newton and Birdella Sachse. The Evans Foundation donated funds to help renovate the museum building. The outer bricks that border the memorial are original bricks from William Sachse's second home.
Photo by Charlene Haupt